Skip to main content

If you live in a a pre-war building in NYC or have hardwood floors, then listen up!

The Risks of Mold

Are well known when it comes to humans. Family members can suffer from stuffiness, eye and skin irritation as well as infections in their lungs. Yet, many pet owners do not realize it but mold problems also affect their dogs.

Not all dogs suffer from mold allergies or mold exposure but there is enough that do to make this a serious problem. This problem crosses gender lines equally. The good news is that your dog will display signs that they have and your house has a mold problem.

While you may work on solutions like getting a dehumidifier that not only dehumidifies but also keeps your home cool and allergy-free, it’s essential to understand the impact of mold allergies on dogs.

Signs of canine mold allergies

When your treasured pet suffers from a mold allergy they will display different signs telling you that all is not well in their world. Here are some of those signs

  • Excessive scratching and itchiness
  • Loss of fur
  • Constant shaking of head and ears
  • Chronic ear infections
  • Paw chewing
  • Redness on the skin
  • And much more

Results of Mold Exposure

When your dog starts to exhibit those signs their behavior is telling you two things. First that you have a mold problem in your home that needs to be identified and taken care of.

Second, that they have a problem with the mold and they are on their way to suffering from one of the following health issues:

  • Lung and respiratory problems
  • Damage to the gastrointestinal tract
  • Digestive problems
  • Allergic reactions
  • Neurological issues, including tremors and seizures

When you start to see your dog experience those symptoms listed above you need to take immediate action. The reason for fast action is that long term exposure to mold can lead to organ failure in your pet.

An Ounce of Prevention

Is worth a pound of cure and probably will save you a lot of money in the long run. Taking the right steps in preventing mold from getting a foothold in your home is the best way to defeat this problem.

Mold can be very tricky and sneaky so you can’t leave any part of your home uninspected or ignored. When you see your pet acting like something is wrong, here are the steps to take to make it a safe place once again.

#1. Inspect your home- not just the places you can see but under tile, behind drywall, under or in carpets, and so on. You can use vinegar or baking soda on the mold spores you come across or a bleach and water solution will do the trick

#2. Plug leaks- look for leaks in pipes, plumbing, windows, roof and those areas where water is present. Cutting down on moisture leaks helps to prevent mold from growing in your home

#3. Use ventilation fans- in your bathroom, laundry room and kitchen all ventila6tion fans should be strong enough to remove excess moisture

#4. Buy a dehumidifier- high humidity can help mold grow. Your investment in a dehumidifier will help protect your dog from mold poisoning.

#5. Clean water puddles immediately- when water is leaking and it starts to pool that is a place for mold to grow. Cleanup those pools of water quickly to prevent that from happening.

#6. Don’t wait for mold to become a problem- clean it up as soon as you see it before it gets to be such a big mess that you need to hire professionals to do the cleanup for you

Recommended Treatment for Pet Mold Poisoning

There are things you can do to help your pet when they show signs of mold poisoning. These treatments are not that difficult nor should they take a lot of time to do.

#1. Bathe your pet often- use a hypoallergenic shampoo to help soothe the itchiness that comes with mold poisoning

#2. Medication can help- Omega 3 supplements, topical creams, corticosteroids and antihistamines will all help with inflammation

#3. Allergen injections- these will help desensitize your dog to the mold and help them overcome any poisoning they may experience

One word of warning, dogs who have allergies to mold, may also have problems with dust mites, pollen and other small air borne particles that enter your home. Your dog’s allergic reaction may not be due only to a mold presence in your home.

Some Final Words

Mold can be a problem for every member of your family, including your dog. The best way to treat this problem is to use a good dehumidifier. Not only do they keep your home or rooms dry, they make sure your dog does not inhale dust mites and other air borne particles that can cause them health problems.

Take the right steps in preventing mold from growing and disrupting your home life.

Love our content? Share it with a friend or link it to social media. Like short clips of cute household pets? Training tips? Follow us on instagram @nydognanny or on YouTube at nydognanny.  Have some news you needs to get to dog and cat parents stat?  Email with your article pitch.

Skip to content