Dog Sitter Interview Questions: What to Ask
When meeting a dog nanny for the first time, there are several questions you may want to consider posing.
“Here are some tips for questions that you can start brewing over so that you can hold up your end of the conversation with your prospective pet sitter.
Here are some tips for questions that you can start brewing over so that you can hold up your end of the conversation with your prospective pet sitter. You need to remember this is the time when you need to ask people good questions. After all, it’s as much an interview for them as it is for you and nothing says a good match like the vibe you receive. Your dog is a family member and going with your gut as well as asking smart questions will give you a more holistic approach to choosing the right dog nanny for you and your pooch.
First, here are some questions you can be expected to be asked by your dog nanny:
* How many dogs do you have and what are their ages and breeds?
* Tell me a little about the dog– what are their likes and dislikes?
* What are your dogs favorite toys and treats?
* What allergies do your dogs have, if any?
* What medical or physical conditions do your dogs have, if any?
Dog Care Philosophies
* What foods can the dogs have? What can they not have?
* What are your rules for begging? Barking? Sleeping on the Bed? The couch?
* Are there any words that should be avoided such as “W-A-L-K” which may prompt excited or aggressive behavior if a walk is not intended.
* Do the dogs get along with other dogs?
* Do the dogs have special needs?
* Do the dogs have separation anxiety?
* What is your recommendation for answering the door during a job if I don’t know the person knocking?
* Are there any particular visitors or kids’ friends who are not welcome in the home?
* Do you have roommates or family members that the sitter needs to meet so that they are not startled if I am in their home picking up the dog for a walk etc.
* Will there ever be other pets in the home that may run out when I open the door?
Responsibilities and Tasks
* What are your dogs’s daily routines I should be aware of?
* Will I ever be driving your dog? What are your rules for the car, dog harnesses, carriers etc.?
* Would you like me to arrange play dates/grooming appointments for your dogs?
* Is light housework involved in this job? Am I expected to clean up an accident if the dog pees or poops in the house before you get home? If so, what will you expect me to do?
* Will you ever be at home while I am sitting/walking the dog?
These questions were compiled from sittercity.com and modified by New York Dog Nanny.