Tis’ the season to give something special, so why not spoil your pup with some tasty treats! What makes this gift extra special? It’s homemade and gluten-free!
HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA DOG TREATS
- 1 banana (peeled)
- 1 cup Oat Flour
- 2/3 cup rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Dried Parsley
- 3 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
The parsley in these treats makes them a secret breath freshener for your pooch; substitute dried mint for half of the parsley, if you like. Don’t hesitate to adjust the size of the treats to accommodate very small or very large dogs, baking them a few minutes less or a few minutes more, as needed.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Put banana in a large bowl and use a spoon or potato masher to mash it thoroughly. Add oat flour, oats, parsley, peanut butter and egg and stir well to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Roll mixture into 24 balls, using about 1 tablespoon dough for each; transfer to a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet as done.
- Use the back of a spoon or the heel of your hand to press each ball into a (1 1/2- to 2-inch) coin. Bake until firm and deep golden brown on the bottom, 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to let cool completely.
- Storage note: It’s best to store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Or, freeze them to give to your pal later; just be sure to thaw the treats befor handing them out.
PER SERVING:Serving size: 1 each, 45 calories (15 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 1g sugar), 2g protein
*This recipe is from Whole Foods.